With the rapid growth of the economy, different types of lockset are being developed. Significant changes can be found in finishes, constructions, functions, materials and so on. Specialized locks also being adopted to fit and achieve different purpose. Lockset becomes a very important part in the hardware & security industry. We start with the mechanical lockset as an example and classified them by the product application.
A. Construction Locks
Construction Locks refer to locks used at construction doors, it can be divided into four major categories.
1. Rim lock - The lock body is installed on the door surface
It is usually installed in building gate, house gate or main entrance door. It can be divided into single, double or multi-latch and Jimmy proof lock (tiger lock) etc. The single latch lock and double latch lock operate in parallel direction. While the latch of Jimmy proof lock operates in vertical direction.
There are 2 major types of rim lock cylinders - single cylinder and double cylinder, the main difference are:
1. Single cylinder: Use the key from outdoors to open the door and use the lever or knob from indoors to open the door. It provides high security from outdoors but convenience from indoors. Weakness - anyone (including a thief) indoors can open the door easily without a key.
2. Double cylinder: The lock can be operated by key from both outside and inside. It provides higher security than single cylinder. A thief broken into the house from window cannot open the door without the key. Moreover, most of them have hardened housing to protect from breaking by screwdriver, pincers or sinker. Weakness - it cannot be opened easily. The double cylinder rim lock can be divided into two types, jimmy proof rim lock and the non-jimmy proof rim lock. The difference between them are:
3. Jimmy Proof: there is a bevel at the cylindrical bolt. Once the lock body touches the striker, the bolt will hitch the striker, that's Jimmy Proof. The lock can be operated outside by the key and inside by the key or rotating the knob. A jimmy proof lock usually equips with a security button to prevent opening the door outside without a key .
4. Non- jimmy proof: there is no bevel at the cylindrical bolt. The door cannot be locked until the bolt retracts in. It needs to rotate the knob or use the key to close the lock. A non-jimmy proof lock does not equipped with a security button. It can be operated outside by the key and inside by the key or rotating the knob.
2. Bored Lock - the lock body is inserted into the door edge, the cylinder and security part are located in the knob (or lever)
This kind of locks are usually adopted to the inside doors. It can be divided into cylindrical knobset & leverset, tubular knobset & leverset. There are some structural & functional difference between the cylindrical and tubular locksets. The cylindrical lockset can be opened directly by inserting and turning the key. The tubular lockset can only unlock but need to open by rotating the knob or lever. China prefers to use cylindrical lockset but other countries prefer to use the tubular lockset. Different functions are designed to fit for the door applications: entrance, privacy, passage, storeroom, balcony, classroom, emergency exit, communicating, hotel, hotel masterkey, single cylinder deadbolt, double cylinder deadbolt, combo functions etc.
3.Mortise lock —the lock body is inserted into the door edge, the lever and escutcheon are installed on the surface of the door.
It is suitable for the outside door because of it is higher security. (Also adopt to inside door according to the actual condition) It is especially suitable for the handicapped. It can be classified by the latch function: single square bolt, single latch, double bolt, multi-bolt and key-operate latch with multi-bolt.
The definition of key-operate latch is: The key can operate both the latch and bolt.
For example: Profile mortise lock or double bolt rim lock, the cylinder can operate the square bolt, while the lever can operate the spring latch only. The above function can operate both square and spring latches by the key but the normal one need to operate individually.
4. Sliding lock —— The latch look like a hook to fasten the door frame.
This kind of locks are usually used to a sliding metal door, gate and wooden door. It includes sliding gate lock, rolling shutter lock, rolling window lock and Aluminum lock.
B. Industry lock
Adopt in industrial projects such as switch lock, machine tool lock, instrumental lock, meter lock, electric cam lock & utility lock etc.
C. Furniture lock
Adopt in furniture such as drawer lock, cabinet lock, window lock, locker lock and postbox lock etc.
D. Vehicle lock
Adopt in all kinds of vehicle such as bike lock, autobike lock, car lock, train lock, ship lock& plane lock etc.
E. Special lock
Adopt in special circumstance such as prison lock, instruments of torture lock and fire rate, lock etc.